Course details

The 2021 and 2022 Linguetic™ summer schools were cancelled because of Covid-19 (SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus).
Summer school will be back in 2023! To receive updates,
email us.
For other ways to study English, click here

General, Business and Specific English: Prices, what's included, travel

Why employ a private English tutor instead of going to a language school?

(a) Study where you want. At your home, at your office, on holiday.
(b) Study what you want. You can choose the lesson theme and topics.
(c) Save money. Save 40% on 1-to-1 lessons; save 85% for 1-to-8 lessons.


Read about the courses

Wild English English course with an environmental theme, in summer in Scotland.
From CEFR B1 (Intermediate) to CEFR C1 (Advanced)

General English English courses in your town or community. Lively, relevant lessons from an enthusiastic, experienced teacher.
Age 15+. From CEFR A2 (Pre-intermediate) to CEFR C1 (Advanced.)

Business English Lessons at your office or workplace, making intelligent use of high-quality materials. Small groups and one-to-one.
From CEFR A2 (Pre-intermediate) to CEFR C1 (Advanced).

English for Specific Purposes Academic English, or a special course (professional or cultural) created for your company, charity, association or community.


  • Compare with language schools

    The function of a school is to bring student and teacher together in a classroom.
    It's a useful function, but there is a price.

    A serious English course means 25 lesson hours per week, no more than 8 students in each class, and some 1-to-1 time (one student, one teacher). All of these things will cost more than a school's basic tariff. Unless the basic tariff is £2700 per student per week, of course.

    The big difference between a language school and an independent teacher is this:
    A language school's tariff is "£X00 per student".
    An independent teacher's tariff is "£X00 per course". It's the same price for 1 student or 8 students.

  • Where can I teach you?

    a) At your home, at your offices. Anywhere in the world; in a big city, at a Chamber of Commerce, in a National Park office, in a remote village, or even while you travel.

    b) In Britain. If you want an English course in Britain, I can help you arrange accommodation at a conference centre, in a hotel, or in a holiday home (such as a self-catering cottage).

  • When can I teach you?
  • For how long can I teach you?

    A course can be 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, a month or more.

    A 1-week course would usually be to work on specific areas, such as telephone skills or interviewing.

  • What age students do I teach?

    a) Adult students. I get on well with adult students of all ages, including senior professionals. For 2 years I was an instructor of kayaking and mountain sports; I was a lawyer for 20 years; and I've been an English teacher for 5 years, so I have worked with people from many different backgrounds.

    b) Students aged 15-18. I enjoy working with under-18s, especially if they love reading. It helps if the students and I have some shared interests. Click here for a list of my interests. I have an "enhanced disclosure" police file from the DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service). This is for work with young people.

  • Are there any restrictions?

    If you want a course for more than 1 student, it is very important that all the students have the same level of English.

    It's possible to have a class with students at several different levels, for example Intermediate (CEFR B1) and Advanced (CEFR C1), but it's not efficient, and I don't recommend it.

  • Weekly tariff, hourly tariff (prices)

    My fee for teaching English is £990 per week, plus travel and accommodation.

    In Britain I am self-employed, and £990 is the gross figure (before deduction of UK tax and National Insurance).
    In other countries, I must be an employee and £990 is the net figure (after deduction of local taxes), unless that country has a tax treaty with the UK that enables me to claim UK tax relief. Otherwise, I have to pay tax twice.

    I don't expect to fly Business Class, and accommodation does not need to be luxurious, as long as it's clean and quiet. I was a locum tenens lawyer for 10 years, which meant working in different parts of Britain for periods of 3 weeks to 12 months. During that time, I stayed in hotels of various grades, in bed-and-breakfasts, in studio flats, and as a house-guest of law firm personnel. All of these were good.

    I don't charge for travelling time or for normal preparation time. However, if you want me to do serious pre-course preparation for a customised English for Specific Purposes course, my hourly tariff for pre-course work is £34.

  • Visa and employment status

    If I work in your country, and not in Britain or Ireland, you arrange a temporary work visa for me. I have a British passport.

    If I work in your country, you employ me. In other words, you give me a temporary contract of employment.
    You will be the employer, I will be the employee.
    If you are a large organisation, this is easy to arrange. If you are a private individual, you will probably need to ask a 'payroll service' to arrange this.


Book your language course. Contact me now